Genesis Seating – Grand Rapids, MI
Genesis Seating was created as a subsidiary of Davidson Plyforms in 1993. Both facilities were acquired by Leggett & Platt in 2001 and are part of the L&P Work Furniture Group.
Genesis produces finished goods and capabilities, including a full-service upholstery shop with dedicated work areas for each product line. Genesis brings diverse world-class manufacturing capabilities together in the production and assembly of high-quality contract furniture products.
Genesis is currently in the final stages of becoming Eco Initiative-registered and should obtain registration before January 2017.
The following goals were established for 2016:
Energy Reduction – Lighting Project – Ongoing
- Estimated savings of 75% after completion
- Incremental replacement of all incandescent, metal halide, mercury vapor, and fluorescent and sodium light sources, installed in the 1980s, to LEDs.
- Current usage per day: $6.02
- LED usage per day: $1.17
Recycling Project – Goal of ZERO landfill by 2020
Increase recycling 5% in 2016
- Evaluate and improve recycling collection stations
- Current paper recycled: 8.78 tons per month
- Projected paper recycled: 9.22 tons per month
- Current plastic recycled: 2,435 lbs. per month
- Projected plastic recycled: 2,557 lbs. per month
- Increase recycling 5% in 2016
Styrofoam and paper cup reduction project
- Decrease overall amount of disposable cups used at the facility by 66%
- Each employee was given a reusable cup to promote the project
- New cups purchased for visitors will be environmentally friendly
Genesis Spring held a friends-and-family recycling event in September 2016. Friends and family of all employees were encouraged to bring in any scrap metal for proper disposal. The event collected a total of 36,300 pounds of scrap metal for recycling.
The facility also donated four skids of scrap fabric to Habitat for Humanity of Kent County.