Tupelo Sleeper – Tupelo, MS
Tupelo Sleeper of Tupelo, Mississippi, became EFEC (Enhancing Furniture’s Environmental Culture) registered in December 2010. Tupelo Sleeper is Leggett & Platt’s largest sofa sleeper assembly plant, supplying sofa sleeper mechanisms and mattresses to furniture manufacturers throughout the United States, Mexico, and Canada. The facility has built the reputation of being a responsive supplier of high-quality products, a reliable employer, as well as a sound member of the community. Tupelo Sleeper maintains membership in the local Community Development Foundation, the Mississippi Manufacturer’s Association, and the Mississippi Economic Council.
Through the EFEC program the facility has successfully implemented sustainability and reduction goals that include:
- Reduced energy consumption from lighting by 50% through lighting upgrades
- Reduced scrap fabric through quality controls and supplier support.
- Reduced landfill waste by implementing a robust recycling program of plastics, cardboard and cardboard tubes, paper, and other recyclable materials
- Reduced raw material purchased by reusing scrap fabric and cardboard for packing new units
- Improvements to dock doors for energy efficiency
An understanding throughout the facility of the EFEC program is accomplished through monthly EFEC program training to employees during “Toolbox Talks.” Also, all new hires are trained and sign “What is EFEC.” Everyone also receives a card with the environmental policy on it to keep on them.
Tupelo Sleeper demonstrates a high level of social responsibility within the community. The facility participates in the quarterly Adopt-A-Park program in Tupelo. Each quarter approximately 25-30 employees participate in the event. The team has also worked with the first grade class at Thomas Elementary School to present sustainability information. They have assisted in the school’s elective recycling program for items such as writing utensils and toothpaste tubes.