Schukra – Windsor, Ontario, Canada
In 2014, Schukra participated in several social responsibility activities:
- Annually, the facility helps plant trees in their community as part of the ERCA tree planting. During this event, approx. 2,000 trees are planted by volunteers in the community.
- The facility collects coats and mittens every year, which are given to the unemployment help center for those in need.
- The facility hosted a shoe drive to collect shoes for Soles 4 Souls Canada – an organization that recycles shoes to underprivileged nations in need.
- Schukra participated in Take Your Kid to Work Day, in which employees’ children came to work with their parents. During this day, a presentation about the Eco Initiative program was made to the children. They also reviewed multiple learning boards pertaining to conservation and other environmental topics, and each child received a water-powered alarm clock.
The Schukra facility is also currently working on the following projects to reduce landfill waste:
- Reduce bar code labels through pull system optimization.
- Continue to perform waste audits annually to develop future objectives – 100% efficiency.
- Reduce hot beverage cups by distributing tumblers.
- Find a way to recycle new grease for new programs that current recycler won’t recycle.
- Find a way to begin recycling paper towels.