Genesis Seating – Grand Rapids, MI
Genesis Seating was created as a subsidiary of Davidson Plyforms in 1993. Both facilities were acquired by Leggett & Platt in 2001 and are part of the L&P Work Furniture Group.
Genesis produces finished goods and its capabilities include a full-service upholstery shop with dedicated work areas for each product line. Genesis brings diverse, world-class manufacturing capabilities together in the production and assembly of high-quality contract furniture products.
Genesis became an Eco Initiative-registered facility in January 2017. Past impact reduction efforts at the facility include:
- Energy use reductions through LED lighting upgrades
- Energy use reductions through the replacement of the stone ballast roof with efficient EPDM white roofing
- Natural gas usage reductions through HVAC replacements and boiler/water heater upgrades
- Implemented a strong recycling program at the facility for paper, plastics, metals, and other materials
- The facility is working toward a goal of zero landfill by 2020
- Recycling Project – Goal of zero landfill by 2020
Genesis Seating takes an active role in sustainability and social responsibility within their community. They have donated scrap fabric to Habitat for Humanity of Kent County, held “Friends and Family” scrap metal recycling days, and participated in the Mayor’s Grand River Cleanup event. The facility also displays an air quality indicator flag for community viewing.